Saturday 6 August 2016

(9) Who should marry the princess?


STORY NINE


The king again went to the Shimshapaa tree; placed the Vetaala on the shoulders; and the Vetaala started to talk as before-
“King!
Why are you suffering like this in the cremation ground at these dark hours? Don’t you see how terrifying is this cremation ground where all fore-fathers get burnt to ashes; where ghosts wander with abandon; where mist covers the terrain like the smoke from the burning bodies; and the night is so fearsome? Just because that mendicant requested you to do this task, why do you tire yourself like this?
At least listen to this story now and answer my question…!

In the country of Avanti there was a city named Padmaavati in the KrtaYuga. It was built by the Gods; it was adorned by ashes and riches and was in an elevated place like the form of Shiva. In Tretaa Yuga the same city was known as Bhogavati; in Dvaapara Yuga as Hiranyavati; and in KaliYuga as Ujjayini.
The city of Ujjayini was ruled by a king named VeeraDeva. PadmaRati was his queen.

The king had no children. So he performed penance on Shiva on the bank of the Ganges along with his wife. After a long time, he heard Shiva’s voice from the sky-
“King! You will get a valorous son who will bring fame to your dynasty and a daughter who will be more beautiful than a heaven-damsel!”

The king was very much happy by the boon and returned back to his city with his wife. In his wife named PadmaRati, he had a son named ShooraDeva and a daughter named Ananga-Rati whose charms could entice even the God of love.

When the daughter came of age, the king sent invitations to the kings all over the world and invited them to his kingdom, desiring to find a suitable life-partner for her. But he was not satisfied by any one of them.
The king called his daughter near him and spoke with affection-
“Daughter! I do not find any one fit to marry you. Let us arrange for a Svayamvara; you choose and marry whomever you want to.”

The princess said-
“Father! Svayamvara is very embarrassing! I do not want it. If a good-looking youth is there who has mastered a single talent fully, that is enough for me. You can give me ff to him in marriage. I am not much concerned about other things like caste or riches!”

The king searched for talented youths of his country. Hearing the news about this, four valorous talented men from the southern region approached the king. They were welcomed by the king heartily. Each of them reported to him what talent he had.


One of them said-
“I am of a low caste. My name is PanchaPhuttika. I weave five fine garments every day; one I offer to the God; another to the Brahmin; another to myself; another to my
would-be wife;  and I  sell the fifth one and buy provisions with that money. So please offer me your daughter AnangaRati to me as I am highly talented.”

The second one said-
“I am a merchant. My name is Bhaashaajna; I understand the language of all animals and birds. So please give me your daughter.”

The third one said-
“I belong to the warrior class. My name is KhadgaDhara (Sword-Holder). I am well-known for my courage and valor. There is no one who can defeat me in a sword-fight.
O King! Give your daughter to me.”

The fourth one said-
“King! My name is JeevaDatta. I am a Brahmin. I can make any dead thing alive immediately. As I am a Siddha, I deserve your daughter.”

All of them were handsome and talented in some special way. The king now wondered about who would be fit to marry his daughter.

END

Vetaala stopped the story at that point and asked the king-
“King! Remember my curse and tell me which young man has to be married to the princess!”

The king said-
“You just want to waste my time and ask such ordinary questions! What profound question is it supposed to be? Anyhow listen! How can a princess born in the warrior class be married to a low-caste man or a merchant? By understanding the language of the animals and birds, what can be achieved? What is that princess with the royal blood do with a man who magically makes alive the dead ones?
She must be offered in marriage to the valorous man who wields the sword!”

Vetaala disappeared immediately and hung on the branch of the Shimshapaa tree. The king tirelessly treaded back to the tree to complete his mission.

सोत्साहधने हि वीरहृदये न जातु खेदोऽन्तरं लभते ॥

A valorous man with enthusiasm never gets disheartened

 by the obstacles that appear in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment