Saturday 6 August 2016

(10) Story of beautiful Madanasenaa



 STORY TEN

The king again went to the Shimshapaa tree; placed the corpse with the spirit on his shoulder; and silently started walking. The Vetaala said to him then-
“King! You are tired! I will entertain you with a story, listen!”

There lived a king named VeeraBaahu. The entire sphere of kings was under his command. He was another Indra on earth. His city was AnangaPura.
In that city of AnangaPura, there lived a very rich merchant named ArthaDatta. He had a son named DhanaDatta and a daughter named MadanaSenaa.
One day a merchant’s son named DharmaDatta chanced to see MadanaSenaa and became enamored of her beauty. She was an overflowing waterfall of charms.
Huge pot-like breasts and the three folds on her waist enhanced her beauty. She was like a pond where the elephant of youth sported with abandon.
DharmaDatta was stuck by the arrows of Manmatha (god of love) and lost his senses-

Looking at her standing on the terrace of her mansion DharmaDatta who was passing on the road below thought-
“Aha! This jasmine flower with such a beauty, piercing like sharpened sword, has been made by the god of love only for breaking my heart”; and he spent that day pining for her a like a Chakravaaka bird.

MadanaSenaa also saw him and lost her mind to him. She entered inside her house with the heart burning in the fire of passion towards DharmaDatta. The Sun who was attracted (Raaga) by her beauty, (became red (Raaga) in hue by her sight) drowned in the western ocean. The moon who had lost himself by the beauty of her lotus-face, saw that beautiful-faced girl entering her house at night, and slowly came out to look at her.

DharmaDatta went home; was thinking about her continuously; remained on the bed rolling and suffering, hit by the moon’s feet (Chandra-Paada/moon’s feet/rays).
His friends and relatives were worried by his depressed state and enquired about what had happened. But he was not able to answer them anything. At night he fell asleep after a long time; saw her in his dream also! How he begged and pleaded with her and how he enjoyed her company is only known to him! In the morning, he went to the garden without anybody’s knowledge and saw MadanaSenaa there waiting for her friend. He wanted to hold her in his arms and rushed towards her; fell at her feet and with love-filled prattle begged her to grace him.

She said-“I am a virgin; now I belong to someone else too! My father has promised a merchant named MadanaDatta that I will be offered in marriage to him. I will be married off within a few days. So go away please before anyone sees us or there will be trouble.”

Thus rejected by her, DharmaDatta said-
“O Beautiful lady! Whatever be it, I cannot live without you.”

Hearing his words, MadanaSenaa was frightened that her virginity might be lost and said with apprehension-
“Please! Let the marriage be over. My father will get the fruit of giving away a virgin daughter, for which he has been waiting for so long. Later I will come and offer you my company.”

He said-
“If my beloved is going to be enjoyed by some one else and come to me, I do not want her! How can a lotus enjoyed by another one can be attractive?”

She said-
“After the marriage, before meeting my husband, I will come to you. After you feel satisfied, I will go to him.”

DharmaDatta made her promise that she will be truthful and allowed her to go. She returned home apprehensive and worried about all that had happened.

Wedding day arrived. After the auspicious ceremony of marriage was over, she went to her husband’s house; spent the day in various festivities; at night entered her husband’s room to meet him; but she did not embrace her husband with love and kept her face averted.  He requested her in many ways to give him company; but she did not oblige. She started to cry. He thought that may be she did not like him and said-
“O beautiful lady! If you do not like me, then go to the one whom you like.”

She bent her head and said-
“Lord! You are dearer to me than my lives! But I have one request you should grant! Happily give me the assurance of trust. Promise me that you will not discard me. I will then tell you something which is a very embarrassing matter.”

He promised her his trust. Feeling the difficulty of convincing him, she spoke trembling with fear, shyness and sadness-
“Lord! One day when I was standing alone in the garden, a young man named DharmaDatta, a friend of my brother saw me; and stuck by passion approached me. Trying to avoid a tainted name for me and wanting to preserve my virginity so that my father could offer me in a marriage as a virgin only and get the merit of it all, I pacified that young man who was uncontrollable-  that ‘ I will get married first; then I will meet you before I go to my husband.’
Therefore, my Master, please allow me to be truthful and permit me to go and meet him.
I will just meet him and immediately return. I have always adhered to truth from my childhood; I do not want to break that virtue now.”

SamudraDatta was shocked by her words as if hit by the lightning weapon of Indra. However as he also knew the value of keeping a promise, he thought-
“Aha! Alas! She is interested in some one else; she has to go definitely. How can I act against the following of truth? Let her go! Who can stop her?”

After such thoughts, he permitted her to go out to keep her promise.
She got up immediately and went out of the house.

As MadanaSenaa walked alone on the road, suddenly she was stopped by a thief who came running and held the edge of the saree by his hand. He asked the trembling girl- “Hey beautiful girl with lovely eye-brows! Where are you going?”

She said-
“Leave me to go! Why should you bother where I go?
I have some urgent work to attend to.”

The thief said-
“O beautiful girl! How can you escape from my hands? I am a thief!
I do not let go easily anything so easily.”

She said-
“Take all my jewelry and leave me.”

The thief said-
“Hey pretty girl! What need do I have for these stones? You are so beautiful. Your face shines like a moon. You are an ornament of this whole world. I will not let you go.”

MadanaSenaa had no other course except to confide in him everything and after telling him the whole story she said-
“O good man! Wait for a second. I will keep my promise; meet DharmaDatta and return to you quickly. I will never break my promise.”

The thief trusted her words and left her free. He stood there waiting for her to return. She at last reached the place where the merchant’s son was waiting. He saw the pretty girl of his heart approaching him; felt happy; enquired about her welfare; and thought for a few seconds; and then said-
“O beautiful lady! I am happy that you kept your promise. You now belong to another man. I do not want your company any more. Please go back o your husband.”

MadanaSenaa felt relieved and started to walk towards her husband’s place.
The thief was waiting for her on the road and asked her-
“Tell me! What happened to you when you went there?”

MadanaSenaa told him all that had happened.
The thief then said-
“If that is the case, then I also feel satisfied that you kept your promise to me. I do not want you or jewelry. Go back to your husband.”

MadanaSenaa felt relieved. She had fulfilled her promise and adhered to truth; she had been saved from all harms; her character was untainted. Happy and satisfied she joined her husband. She entered his room without anybody’s knowledge and told him everything that had happened.

The husband observed her face which had not lost its luster of purity; her person untouched by anyone; her blemish-less character; her devotion to truth; and her innocent nature. He praised her virtues and felt himself the most fortunate one on earth.
He lived with her happily ever after.


END



Having completed the story in the due manner, Vetaala asked the king-
Hey king! Keep in your mind the curse that I predicted for you and tell me who among the three- the two merchant youths and the thief- did a true sacrifice?”

The king broke his silence and answered-
“The thief alone should be commended for his sacrifice, not the merchants!
The husband was not right in letting go of a girl whom he had vowed to protect by marriage. And if he truly belonged to a good family, when he knew that she was interested in another person, how can he take her back?
And the other one! He was frightened for sure! Or his passion had diminished as time went by and so he rejected her.
The thief actually was a wicked man who always acted against law. He gave up a beautiful girl along with her jewelry. So he alone did the true sacrifice.”

Vetaala was immediately back on the tree; and the king patiently started walking towards the tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment